Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Wholegrain Oatmeal Almond Flaxseed Bars

I have been wanting to make my own breakfast bars for some time now. And kept putting it off for one or the other reason. These that I eventually did try are from Nayna’s Simply Sensational Food. She is my partner for the blog hop this month. I have previously blog hopped her and loved this Coconut Pistachio burfi. She has such a variation of recipe collection, that it was hard to decide on just one to try. But eventually I tried the oatmeal bars with variations. It turned out really nice. Kids loved the chocolate goodness on top. Done once and healthy breakfast is at my fingertips every morning.


These oatmeal bars are packed with nutrients. It’s made from whole grain flour, oatmeal, almonds and last not least flaxseed. Kept sugar to minimum by using brown sugar combined with molasses. Do try these and you will be licking your fingers at last crumble.

Prep Time: 5 mins. | Cooking Time: 5 mins. | Baking Time: 45 mins.


Original recipe here.
Ingredients:
Whole grain flour – 1 Cup
Oatmeal – 1 Cup
Almonds powder (any nuts) – ¾ Cup
Milled Flaxseed – ¼ Cup
Desiccated Coconut – ¼ Cup
Baking soda – ½ tsp.
Salt – ¼ tsp.
Unsalted Butter – ½ Cup / 1 butter stick melted
Molasses – ¼ Cup
Honey - 2 tbsp.
Brown sugar – ¾ Cup
Chocolate chips (optional) – ½ Cup


Method of Preparation:
~ Take a wide mixing bowl. Mix all the first 7 dry ingredients together. The flour, oats, almond powder, flaxseed, desiccated coconut, baking soda, and salt.
~ In a pan add the butter, brown sugar, molasses and honey. Heat them till the sugar melts. It should take about 4 to 5 minutes.
~ Grease a 9X13 inch baking dish. Preheat the oven at 325 degree Fahrenheit/ 160 degree Celsius.
~ Pour this syrup into the dry ingredients slowly and mix with a spoon first since it will be hot. Once you are able to handle, mix it all together and pat it tightly into the greased baking tray.
~ Bake for about 40 ~ 45 minutes.


~ Add the chocolates on top. Cut them into bars. And put them back into the switched off oven for another 10 minutes. I only added them to half of the baked portion for kids.


Notes:
- I powdered almonds to hide them from my kids. You can use any size or bits of nuts as you desire.
- If you would like chocolate chips in all of it, just mix it in the dough before you pack it in.
Check out my previous blog hop entries

These are cooked up to go for Radhika of Tickling Palates blog hop event.



Sending this to Bon Vivant - Breakfast Ideas happening at my place.
And also to,
Vardhini's event Bake Fest hosted by me.
~ Radhika's I love Baking event
~ Cusine Delight's Lunchbox Ideas started by Recipe Junction
~ Ayeesha's Healthy Morsels - Pregnancy
CWS-Oats event by Priya
~ My Culinary Creations Snacks Recipes
~ Only Snacks event by Pari

37 comments:

  1. Healthy, with the chocolate, very tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy n delicious
    http://followfoodie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. with chocolate on top this looks delectable ...Healthy and tempting


    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Healthy bars dear... Looks so crunchy and tempting... Bookmarking

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very healthy and crunchy bar..Tempting..

    Cuisine Delights
    My Monthly Event - Spotlight : "Lunchbox Ideas".

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy n healthy bars...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow these look delicious, thankyou for cooking from simply.food.Do drop by and check what I made from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woww!!! Just delicious looking bars... Thank you Sumee for sharing these power packed nutritious bars with Healthy Morsels - Pregnancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice n healthy!love these bars!!!!!!!great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great bars to start the day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good one for a snack as well.!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely ...looks awesome. Very tempting and bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delicious and healthy bars.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice and very detectable bars !! loved them !!

    Ongoing event
    CC:Spring Seasonal Food

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks really delicious, me and my kids will definitely wanna try this bars, we are looking for an easy recipe to do, I want my kids know how to bake this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise kids will love this one. My lil one who turns up nose first on everything, was gobbling down 2 or 3 at a time. Bars vanished in 3 flat days. So it's a definite try. :o)

      Delete
  16. sumee i m loving this with all those choc buttons as toppings.. i can eat these all day

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfectly baked and nutritious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look so healthy and delicious. yummy post indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  20. what an awesome combo- healthy bars

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the choco chip topped bars. total yumm and I'm sure I just cant stop eating just one.

    Tickling Palates
    Event : Chilled Delights

    ReplyDelete
  22. healthy n delicious bars. nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely recipe. Seems our kids are similar I too need to powder the nuts and oats.:D

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a must try recipe..healthy bars to satisfy those untimely hunger pangs. Thanks a bunch for linking this to my event.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. They look delicious! And no guilt because they are healthy! We're so glad that you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you'll be back soon. -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  27. simply delicious n healthy bars...bookmarked !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...